Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Set Apart and Saved

Our discussion today was about hope, value and excellence. Chrystal explained how the gymnasts that we see at the Olympics probably dedicate 8-10 hours a day to their sport. This lends itself to excellence in that area. I know we can't spend that much time a day in prayer, but it is an example to earnestly seek the things that draw us and others to God. I think it boils down to priorities. I have a motto that I learned  few years back. Many people knew it long before me. "When you say yes to one thing you are saying no to something else." That's not bad, but if you hold it up against your standards and goals does what you're doing with your time measure up.

Here is my list of priorities.

1. God. This includes quiet time, Bible study, serving and anything else that keeps our eyes on God.
2. My husband and my kids. If I am given money for household needs ( groceries, clothes, decor, whatever our home needs to run) I am to be diligent in how I manage our house while my husband is away at work. My children are also an area I am commanded to be dedicated in disciplining and guiding. This is no easy chore but one that I am thankful to have and I take it seriously.  I love my kiddos a bunch! My duty to love and honor my husband is not one that I take lightly. I try very hard to be available and positive for him.
3. Family and friends. This includes extended family and friends. Cultivating and keeping the relationships that I cherish.
4. Health and wellness. This is the trouble area. Taking time to take care of me. I fail at this one daily.

So , if I get an offer to do an activity, a class, to hang out with friends or family, whatever the thing is that takes me away from the home, I measure it against this list. If it enhances any of these, great! If not, I try to see if it is best or necessary for me and/or the family. Lots of things will come up and lots of things might be fun, but do they get in the way of us fulfilling our goals. Then I have my answer.

When I am gone, I want to leave a legacy. Even if you're not conscious of it, you'll leave one. Will it be the legacy you WANT to leave? It takes some planning and I have to be intentional about our choices.
Everyone that knows me knows that I'm VEEEEEEERY far from perfect, far from getting it right, but God knows I try!






No comments: