Monday, September 16, 2013

Let Yourself Off the Hook

Today Chyrstal was asking what areas we push ourselves too hard and what areas could we improve and maybe try harder. I have a fairly easy time answering this one because I just came out of a season, a few years that is, of learning to let go. It didn't happen easily, and I can't say it was a ton of fun, but I do know for sure that God knows exactly what I need and He has been busy with me.

I have tried to learn to let the house get messy, let the baseboards stay in need of touching up, let the kids have cereal sometimes, let the dogs stink and need a bath, let the garage be a mess, let the laundry sit at the end of my bed and actually go to sleep without doing it, and to try to chill out in many other areas I wanted to control before. This is just a small list of the hundreds of things I am trying to relax about.

 I know my husband and my kids would rather have a pleasant ,  happy person to be around than a grouchy person with a clean house. The time is going to fast , I want to enjoy it and not miss it because I am scrubbing and complaining .

I have let go of so much pressure and negative self-talk, trying to take my thoughts captive and really making time to be in the Word . Not just being a check-the-box and follow-these-rules person, but really taking time to pray and listen. Then listen and pray. It has really grown me and helped me learn a lot more about what areas I need to work on.

I haven't got it all figured out, I'm far from knowing very much, but I do know who is in control, and it sure isn't me.That has been the message LOUD and clear. I am grateful that He loves me enough to teach me the things He wants me to learn.

No comments: